AT&T tablet plan for 4G, can just move the SIM to a new 5G

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
DonJuane

AT&T tablet plan for 4G, can just move the SIM to a new 5G

Post by DonJuane »

I am in a fringe area and my 4G two year old tablet plan is having some issues with performance. I have learned that 5G is available in my area for some people so I was wondering if I can just pop the SIM card into my new equipment without having to make an appointment with the store to change things over? Also looking at the bands supported on the new device, assuming my new device falls back to 4G are there any obvious things I may have overlooked by going to 5G? The AT&T chat support says to just move the SIM to the new device I buy. Anyone had ant issues?

Also is there any talk about a forced eSIM conversion anytime in the future, because I prefer to stay with SIM card and hoping my old SIM card can just be moved to new device. Thanks.
Didneywhorl

Re: AT&T tablet plan for 4G, can just move the SIM to a new 5G

Post by Didneywhorl »

Should work fine just swapping to a 5G device/IMEI.

I don't think eSIM will be forced in totality for a while yet.
BillA

Re: AT&T tablet plan for 4G, can just move the SIM to a new 5G

Post by BillA »

DonJuane wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:08 pm I am in a fringe area and my 4G two year old tablet plan is having some issues with performance. I have learned that 5G is available in my area for some people so I was wondering if I can just pop the SIM card into my new equipment without having to make an appointment with the store to change things over? Also looking at the bands supported on the new device, assuming my new device falls back to 4G are there any obvious things I may have overlooked by going to 5G? The AT&T chat support says to just move the SIM to the new device I buy. Anyone had ant issues?

Also is there any talk about a forced eSIM conversion anytime in the future, because I prefer to stay with SIM card and hoping my old SIM card can just be moved to new device. Thanks.
You should be able to swap a SIM card into any compatible 4G or 5G device, except some device restricted tablet and router plans.
As far as eSIM's, carriers will not force anyone to use it instead of a physical sim. What's going to happen is that physical SIM's will be slowly phased out slowly as new phones will only eSIM's (probably it will takes a decade or more).

Return to “Internet Service Providers”