WE826/MC7455 connected but losing upstream ipv4 connection

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
texfilm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

WE826/MC7455 connected but losing upstream ipv4 connection

Post by texfilm »

Hi. Built a WE826/MC7455 purchased from thewirelesshaven.com, using The Wireless Haven's excellent instructions. Seemed to work great for a day or two, but now I notice that after several minutes online, I lose the IPV4 upstream internet connection. I followed the setup tutorial, and the one area I was unsure about was inputting the APN, but netbuddy told me to put in ATT Broadband/broadband.

I get great signal, in the 90s. Using the latest wifix/goldenorb 3-06 firmware. At first, after reading other posts, I thought it might be a signal strength/quality issue, so I have the external antennas upstairs, and get 90+ signal strength.

I seem to maintain the connection to AT&T; I've noticed occasionally the modem will disconnect and reconnect (the ping/reset thing Jim mentioned that's in this firmware?). After the reset, I will again get the DHCP address from At&T, but then a few minutes later my upstream dhcp address goes back to zeros.

I've noticed the RRC state goes from connected to idle when this happens... is this some sort of time-out thing?

I've not tried the "starting anew", as it's only several days old... should I? Also not tried going from QMI to MBIM, open to suggestions. I have wifi disabled, I've got a full unifi network, just need it as a hotspot.

I'll attach a file, it includes debug/modem connection/ipv4 dhcp info. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: WE826/MC7455 connected but losing upstream ipv4 connection

Post by JimHelms »

Just to clarify, the APN should be:

Code: Select all

broadband
For some reason, the network connection is registered, but placed in the idle mode:

EMM state:     Registered     	Normal Service 
RRC state:     RRC Idle       
IMS reg state: No Srv 

Go to MODEM > MISCELLANEOUS > AT-COMMAND TERMINAL and run the following command:

at!entercnd="A710"
at+cgdcont?
And make sure it is returning the proper APN = broadband

If the APN is correct, unplug power from router, remove the SIM Card, power up the router, and restore the modem to OEM status.

at!entercnd="A710"
AT!RMARESET=1
Once it shows to have deleted and restored several files on the modem, reboot the modem using:

at!reset
Give it about 20 seconds, then unplug power from your router, insert your SIM Card and power it back up.
texfilm

Post by texfilm »

Hi Jim, thanks for getting back so quickly.

Well, it does show "broadband"(see 1st entry on attached file), and I reset it as you asked, and no change. I attach a file... again, I did briefly see a At&T upstream 10.xxx ip address, but it disappeared within a minute, and RRC went from connected to idle.

Any ideas? BTW, I bought this for a hotspot, as I'd heard good things about the "mofi", but if another piece of hardware is better/more reliable/better under my conditions/whatever, I'm open to that (Cradlepoint?). I don't need the wifi on the 826, have it disabled.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

You might do a search on the forum for netbuddy. There have been several members previously having similar issues. Also, check you Personal Messages.
texfilm

Post by texfilm »

Thanks. I sent an email to Netbuddy, and referenced this thread, I'll report back when/if I hear back.

BTW, I saw another forum posting concerning Netbuddy, "Need help with new WG3526...", and saw several diagnostic things you had him do. Interestingly, doing AT+CGPADDR returns an 10.xxx ip address, (and AT+CNUM a phone number) but I still show all zeros on the ipv4 upstream (Overview Status page). I guess this means I'm connected to AT&T but they aren't handing me a DHCP address....

On various forums, folks speculate that Netbuddy is just reselling the AT&T $30/month table rate... perhaps that's catching up to them. A friend works at the AT&T store, and when I asked him about getting the $30/month tablet plan and putting it in a hotspot, he said he'd tried that and AT&T figured it out and shut it down. Perhaps that's what's happening here.

Relevant logfile attached.

Thanks again, Jim.
Jim S.

Post by Jim S. »

I have the same hardware on the iPad plan, set up by the well-known eBay seller who used to advertise on Facebook constantly. (I didn't do it myself because I was curious as to whether he might have some other plan than the iPad one that might not be subject to deprioritization.) At least once a week, sometimes as much as once a day, network traffic will pause even though the connection to the tower is up. Sometimes it'll come back before timing out, but if it does time out it does appear to be failing to resolve the address. Sometimes it'll come back up in a few minutes, other times I've given up and cycled the power.

Return to “General and Unclassified”