EP06-A VS MC7455 - Which is better in U.S.?

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Chungus23
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

EP06-A VS MC7455 - Which is better in U.S.?

Post by Chungus23 »

Both of these modems are quite similar in band support, and both support carrier aggregation although the EP06-A tends to be a bit cheaper. However, I have read online, that people who have compared their MofI router to their router with the EP06-A have had differing speeds and seemed to find that their EP06-A wasn't doing carrier aggregation...

On top of this, one of the main tech support personnel from GL INET(uses EP06-A) said on the GL INET forums that for some reason they couldn't get more than 20 mbps down when they were in America, on their own product!

Is there a known issue with the EP06-A not properly doing CA consistently or being less effective in North America?

Has anyone else compared the connection speeds on these two different modems?

Thanks
BillA

Re: EP06-A VS MC7455 - Which is better in U.S.?

Post by BillA »

Chungus23 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:41 pm Both of these modems are quite similar in band support, and both support carrier aggregation although the EP06-A tends to be a bit cheaper. However, I have read online, that people who have compared their MofI router to their router with the EP06-A have had differing speeds and seemed to find that their EP06-A wasn't doing carrier aggregation...

On top of this, one of the main tech support personnel from GL INET(uses EP06-A) said on the GL INET forums that for some reason they couldn't get more than 20 mbps down when they were in America, on their own product!

Is there a known issue with the EP06-A not properly doing CA consistently or being less effective in North America?

Has anyone else compared the connection speeds on these two different modems?

Thanks

No issues at all, you need to upgrade it to the latest firmware in an external mPCIe to usb adapter, and have at least two available bands with good signal at your location for CA to kick in automatically. There's nothing you can do to force it, the tower will instruct the modem to use it whenever available.
Chungus23
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Chungus23 »

Have you tested both? Which one do you prefer?

I looked up online and it seems the netgear nighthawk m1 has a cat12, snapdragon x16 or something modem and it's relatively cheap for it's quality. How come more LTE routers don't use a snapdragon modem? Is it also possible to transfer a module from some of these cellphones to a router? For ex. my phone is very cheap but has great band support and carrier aggregation, but to find a module for an LTE router with similar stats, costs just about as much as my phone does. I am probably missing something here.

I am also very happy to be on this forum.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Chungus23 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:03 pm Have you tested both? Which one do you prefer?

I looked up online and it seems the netgear nighthawk m1 has a cat12, snapdragon x16 or something modem and it's relatively cheap for it's quality. How come more LTE routers don't use a snapdragon modem? Is it also possible to transfer a module from some of these cellphones to a router? For ex. my phone is very cheap but has great band support and carrier aggregation, but to find a module for an LTE router with similar stats, costs just about as much as my phone does. I am probably missing something here.

I am also very happy to be on this forum.

I prefer Quectel modems which seem to work a little better especially with Verizon/Sprint based plans, though Sierra's work fine too especially their higher end models like the EM7511/7565.

Netgear is able to include higher end modems in their hotspots for less, since they buy thousands of units at a volume discount. And no, you can't just transfer a modem from a phone, they are integrated on the main board, though you could tether it to the router via usb. Even if you try to compete with the big companies, they will crush you like a cockroach on the price, as Dennis O'Leary likes to say on Shark Tank. lol
By the way, the cheaper branded modems by Dell and HP are firmware locked, so you may want to skip them.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”