Failover setup

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
swfl_extreme

Failover setup

Post by swfl_extreme »

Just wondering if anyone can help me with step by step instructions to setup failover. We are FINALLY getting fiber broadband, but I would like to keep my 4G LTE as a backup. I'm using a TAKTIKAL 1600 router with GoldenOrb_2024-07-22 firmware. I'm assuming it's done through MultiWAN Manager, but I have no idea what I'm doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BillA

Re: Failover setup

Post by BillA »

swfl_extreme wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:44 am Just wondering if anyone can help me with step by step instructions to setup failover. We are FINALLY getting fiber broadband, but I would like to keep my 4G LTE as a backup. I'm using a TAKTIKAL 1600 router with GoldenOrb_2024-07-22 firmware. I'm assuming it's done through MultiWAN Manager, but I have no idea what I'm doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fail-over via MWAN should work out of the box with little or no settings.
Simply plug in one of the fiber router's LAN outputs into the WAN port on the Taktikal router.

Under GoldenOrb's settings Network > Load Balancing > MWAN - Interfaces lets you configure the default internet source which has priority over the other if both are up an available.
In your case, you'd probably want to set the fiber's WAN port to "Metric" value "0", and the modem's WAN1 port to "Metric" value "10.
The port with the lower "Metric" value has priority over the other. No need to worry about the other port's "Metric" value (WAN2/WWAN), they are only used if up and available, but they are always down.

So if both ports are up and available, the fiber's WAN port is used as the default internet source.
If the fiber goes down, then the modem's WAN1 port will take over till the fiber comes back online.
It's just hat simple.
Here are the proper settings to reset the modem in case it connection goes down.
Go to Modem > Connection Profile > Connection Monitoring
and enter the settings below, then click on Save&Apply.

Connection Monitoring Status:
Enabled with Power Toggle or Modem Reconnect

Tracking reliability – Acceptable values: 1-100. This many Tracking IP addresses must respond for the link to be deemed up

Ping count

Ping interval – Amount of time between tracking tests
10 seconds

Ping timeout
2 seconds

Ping packet size in bytes – Acceptable values: 4-56. Number of data bytes to send in ping packets. This may have to be adjusted for certain ISPs

Interface down – Interface will be deemed down after this many failed ping tests

Interface up

Downed interface will be deemed up after this many successful ping tests Tracking IP

Return to “General and Unclassified”