Just bought a wg1608v4 and Rm500q-ae from ebay

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
bobbcudi
Has thanked: 0

Just bought a wg1608v4 and Rm500q-ae from ebay

Post by bobbcudi »

Just purchased combo from ebay but have been reading that the newer versions of the wg1608 routers have connection issues with the AE 5g modem. Can anyone educate me on this or give me advice about this situation please
Didneywhorl

Re: Just bought a wg1608v4 and Rm500q-ae from ebay

Post by Didneywhorl »

Rumor is that the new WG1608s have a hardware watchdog that reboots the router within a minute or two if it does not see an internet connection. This turns out to be a problem, as this doesn't give the modem enough time to connect. So the router just reboots over and over and over.

EDIT: I have not seen this myself, so not concrete for me.

What vendor did you buy it from? thewirelesshaven.com currently stocks a version that is not like this.
bobbcudi
Has thanked: 0

Post by bobbcudi »

Some vender on ebay. I asked him today what version router it was and he told it is the newest version. I paid a good price for both the router and the rm500q-ae modem, so I'm to upset about the router possibly being junk. Im open to other routers and setups because like everyone I want to set it and forget it. Someone told me I had to downgrade the software and everything works good. Do you have the version 4? The Wireless Haven sells the version 2 hence why the price is a little more expense I beleive compared to vendors on ebay.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

The The Wireless Haven version was made for The Wireless Haven, technically no "version" was intended, but the board does say V3 on it. They first released with both slots. Then they weren't going to release it as a dual modem slot until The Wireless Haven purchased them with the modem slots and standoffs on the board for both. Now they sell them to anyone.

The price is higher generally because ebay sellers don't run a store and pay for servers, employees, and other business overhead costs. Most are weekend sellers doing it as a side hustle. Every penny over cost of the item is "profit" to them.

If it wont run I would get my money back, or at least ask for a different version, especially if they can't prove it's not a defect in the product. You have a great modem there, though.

...And, yeah ,it seems at this point the older versions are a bit more valuable until the manufacturer fixes that. Again that is IF it is a proven defect.
juavos00

Post by juavos00 »

I currently have a v4 running wifix firmware paired with an RM502Q-AE that doesn’t appear to be affected by this problem. I attached a screenshot of the uptime, it has gone longer, but I manually reboot it every now and then.

https://ibb.co/dBZtYH7
https://ibb.co/wYJZ7xv
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Awesome!

I have heard that there is a small resistor/jumper that was not soldered in place on the models that are having the issue. Placing a jumper fixes the issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
juavos00

Post by juavos00 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:03 pm Awesome!

I have heard that there is a small resistor/jumper that was not soldered in place on the models that are having the issue. Placing a jumper fixes the issue.
Was it intentional or just a missed component when assembled? You would think they would have caught something like that but they may have powered up enough to not notice..
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Oh China! :Shrug:

Return to “General and Unclassified”