router for backup or using as repeater/extender

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
dawnish
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

router for backup or using as repeater/extender

Post by dawnish »

Hi Folks,

Currently getting my LTE internet setup. Just moved to a rural area and I work remotely. I own a wg3526 router with a Sierra MC7455 modem installed (currently works with T-Mobile SIM). I am looking for a router to have on hand for a backup and possibly to use as a repeater, since I live in a rather large house and the wg3526 is currently in the basement. (I've also been scouring the threads here and heard inklings of the wg3526 not giving out great wifi signal, so want to get a backup ASAP)

Budget isn't really an issue, because internet connectivity is directly tied to my income so I will go all out if need be.

Really excited to learn from the experts here! Thanks! :)
Dr-BroadBand

Re: router for backup or using as repeater/extender

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

For the WiFi solution I would use a Wireless Access Point, WiFi-6 would be nice.

https://www.netgear.com/business/produc ... ax610.aspx
https://www.netgear.com/business/produc ... -wireless/

For the backup modem solution I would use a different cell network AT&T or Verizon take a look at Netgear LBR20. Make sure the cell provider is ok with the hardware your pick 8-)

LTE Category 18, capable of up to 1.2 Gbps

Also can Create a mesh WiFi system with select* Orbi AC Satellites (sold separately) and stream or game anywhere with seamless connectivity throughout your home. If you do not want to run cables to the access point solution. :D

https://www.netgear.com/Orbi/LBR20.aspx
dawnish
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by dawnish »

Thanks, Dr-Broadband!
Dr-BroadBand wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:36 pm For the WiFi solution I would use a Wireless Access Point, WiFi-6 would be nice.
I'm new to a lot of the terminology/tech. What's the difference between a WAP and a router? I've seen these netgear boxes at my workplace...
Dr-BroadBand wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:36 pm For the backup modem solution I would use a different cell network AT&T or Verizon take a look at Netgear LBR20. Make sure the cell provider is ok with the hardware your pick
Yeah, I'm going to start cell service with Visible and that will hopefully be my backup SIM/hotspot. Do you know if the LBR20 works with Visible?
Dr-BroadBand wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:36 pm Also can Create a mesh WiFi system with select* Orbi AC Satellites (sold separately) and stream or game anywhere with seamless connectivity throughout your home. If you do not want to run cables to the access point solution.
I assume this is similar to the Google WiFi mesh network. In our previous place, we had verizon fios with a bunch of Google WiFi extenders daisy chained to get access across 3 different buildings. It worked remarkably well.

Are you currently using the netgear tech you're recommending?
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Good Questions

#1 Router, It is sometime confusing on what a router is because they package the four parts of a network into one box. The modem (4G Cell, DLS, Cable), switch, WiFi access point, and the router in the same box. You could have Qty-4 boxes to do each of the Qty-4 things that is need to make a network work, or just one box.
See YouTube Link, https://youtu.be/Mad4kQ5835Y

#2 Most hardware works on the big three networks, the question is will they let your modem onto their network.
Visible uses the Verizon network. Let the group know if you get a good data plan.
The cell companies are a little stingy with data for modems/hot spots.

#3 I have not used a Mesh Network, but if setup correctly I could see the benefit

Return to “General and Unclassified”