Installing a faster set up

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
ocamrazor
Has thanked: 0

Installing a faster set up

Post by ocamrazor »

I'm currently using a mofi sim4 flashed over to the we826 firmware with a MC7455 and it's working great. During off peak time hours I've hit a max of 40Mbps. The problem is during 4pm to 11pm weekdays and most of the weekends I'm seeing max speeds of 5Mbps, if I'm lucky, 7Mbps.

I've been trying to ensure carrier aggregation is active but I'm starting to think that band 13 is all I'm going to get as I live at an elevation of 2800 ft in a heavily wooded area. I ended up adding a 25ft mast to the house and I get a real strong signal now.

this is my gstatus

at!gstatus?
!GSTATUS:
Current Time: 54332 Temperature: 36
Reset Counter: 4 Mode: ONLINE
System mode: LTE PS state: Attached
LTE band: B13 LTE bw: 10 MHz
LTE Rx chan: 5230 LTE Tx chan: 23230
LTE CA state: NOT ASSIGNED
EMM state: Registered Normal Service
RRC state: RRC Connected
IMS reg state: No Srv

PCC RxM RSSI: -66 RSRP (dBm): -93
PCC RxD RSSI: -68 RSRP (dBm): -95
Tx Power: -- TAC: A30C (41740)
RSRQ (dB): -10.4 Cell ID: -removed
SINR (dB): 16.6

speedtest at 4:05 pm, which is really good for the time of day
https://www.speedtest.net/result/8715811141

So my questions are if I buy https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/m2m-rou ... nexg-h721/ and add 2 modems to it, a EM7565 and an MC7455 will it help with network congestion and overall network speeds? I currently have 2 mimo antenna set ups, If I hook one set of antennas to each card will it make a difference in network quality?

Also has anyone used this device?
https://www.mikrotik.com/product/rblhgr ... ifications
It's a nice 21db high gain all in one system. I was thinking about getting it but the os is closed source and doesn't really have community contributions, other then that I've read really good things about mikrotik.
swwifty

Re: Installing a faster set up

Post by swwifty »

Band 13 is probably congested later in the day, cause its around 700mhz and in rural areas is heavily used due to obstructions.

What external antennas do you have, and are you using Verizon? It's pretty rare to see a cell that only has B13, but I did have that on a tower from my house for a few years, before they upgraded it.
ocamrazor

Post by ocamrazor »

Yes, I am on verizon, although my phone is on sprint so I am at a loss when it comes to the cell mapping apps. Sprint service is at best 2 bars of 3g, verizon is much more reliable for 4g out here in the mountains.

I spent a few days dialing in the signals with a, "Proxicast 4G / LTE Cross-Polarized (MIMO) 7-10 dBi High-Gain Fixed-Mount Panel Antenna" and two "Poynting LPDA-92 698-3000 MHz High Gain Directional LTE Antenna Log Periodic Dipole Antennas". The poytings are also in mimo configuration. I carefully adjusted these until I could no longer gain signal improvement, with a stable 77% signal strength on either set. The only way to improve my signal now would be to get a higher mast/tower or set up a repeater. Both of those options are rather expensive right now. I'm hoping the 7565 I ordered will improve things a little bit

I picked up the Poyntings in anticipation of my cat12 7565 modem. If you can recommend a good set of high gain omni directional antennas, I would try them out as well.

After reading around it seems some people have had better luck with a hotspot and an omnidirectional antenna set up. Also worth noting that my web surfing is much more stable after flashing my mofi to a goldenorb image. mofi firmware is super buggy.

I'd like to pick up the m2m h721 regardless of whether or not it'll be an improvement to my signal quality. It has more current features and better specs. I'll keep the we826 as a back up. I just hope it's still on sale when The Wireless Haven starts taking orders again. I might pick up a modem as well depending on the feedback.

I'm open to suggestions. If there's any tips or tricks, or anything I might've missed.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

It sounds like you've done your due diligence.

Is there service with AT&T or T-Mobile in your area? You might consider trying them if Verizon is overloaded.

I used AT&T for about 6 months on a tower 5+ miles away, until Verizon upgraded their tower by adding more bands. That tower is much closer (1 mile) but was severely overloaded before because it only had band 13, in a rural area.
ocamrazor

Post by ocamrazor »

Unfortunately no. There's a barely serviceable sprint network or verizon. I've switched my cell phone from sprint to verizon and am load balancing between plans.

Throttling occurs after a certain amount of data allowance on either plan but both are unlimited. It'll be enough to be able to stream and game/surf.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

ocamrazor wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:34 pm Unfortunately no. There's a barely serviceable sprint network or verizon. I've switched my cell phone from sprint to verizon and am load balancing between plans.

Throttling occurs after a certain amount of data allowance on either plan but both are unlimited. It'll be enough to be able to stream and game/surf.
i know Verizon is going through and upgrading their equipment throughout the US as they have new bands available to them. Hopefully you'll have the local tower upgraded locally soon.
MarkBrown
Been thanked: 0

Post by MarkBrown »

ocamrazor wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:59 pm Also has anyone used this device?
https://www.mikrotik.com/product/rblhgr ... ifications
It's a nice 21db high gain all in one system. I was thinking about getting it but the os is closed source and doesn't really have community contributions, other then that I've read really good things about mikrotik.
I have one of these and had success also their SXT and Wap are very capable devices. They only have CAT6 modems though. But none the less work very good.

Return to “General and Unclassified”