Sprint and EM7455 - solution to disconnects?

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
sporez
Has thanked: 0

Sprint and EM7455 - solution to disconnects?

Post by sporez »

I purchased a Sprint unlimited sim/hotspot through one of the Mobile Citizen vendors. Hoping to be able to use it in my em7455, however after experimenting for a while I seem to suffer from the frequent disconnects/instability that so many others have. I've read many threads on the issue and they all seem to go dead without any resolution to the problem.

Is there a reliable way to run a Sprint sim in the MC/EM 7455 with generic fw without disconnecting? It seems when locking to B25 it works better, but speeds are slow (10-15mbps) so not very useful. B41 CAx2 gets really good speeds (50-70mbps) but will seemingly disconnect in 30-60ish minutes and internet comes grinding to a halt until resetting the modem. Very frustrating.
FraCanTob
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sprint and EM7455 - solution to disconnects?

Post by FraCanTob »

I would very much like to hear about the latest on this issue too (Sprint here as well, but I use an MC7455). Last I checked was a few months ago, and I came to the same conclusion--nobody has been able to figure it out.
sporez

Post by sporez »

FraCanTob wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:52 am I would very much like to hear about the latest on this issue too (Sprint here as well, but I use an MC7455). Last I checked was a few months ago, and I came to the same conclusion--nobody has been able to figure it out.
Are you running sprint currently? How do you deal with the weird instability?
FraCanTob

Post by FraCanTob »

I am running Sprint right now. And right now, I just put up with the ~hourly disconnects!
FraCanTob

Post by FraCanTob »

It might be that Mchccjg12 over on the Whirlpool ROOter thread is on to something: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-r ... &ux=821957

He says:
susndic writes:
I'm on the the latest March GoldenOrb, on a GLinet X750, and MC7455 on QMI mode. Whenever I change LTE bands (because I'm moving around), it'll disconnect. I've narrowed it down to the DHCP on WAN1 not reconnecting to fetch a new IP address.

I've found the same thing, and I think it's why Sprint seems to disconnect so much as well... at least, it's part of the reason. The interface doesn't update to the new assigned IP address, so it usually will restart the whole modem... if there was a way to get it to recognize the new IP, it wouldn't need to reboot the modem so often.
Mchccjg12

Post by Mchccjg12 »

From what I can tell, it's an issue on Sprint's end with the way their terrible equipment works. Even with the EM7565, it will disconnect upon changing bands or cells because it will change IP every time. I am pretty sure it works with other carriers because they handle it better on the network end.
sporez

Post by sporez »

This is interesting. But would this explain why the problem happens with the modem sitting still in my house sitting on B41? Even when it's locked to that band it still suffers the disconnects.
FraCanTob

Post by FraCanTob »

I think it's interesting that it's no problem for the devices supplied with Sprint SIMs, e.g. R850. Why would that be?

Concerning being locked to B41, I think there's more to it than that. You can restrict the device to B41, but it still connects to different towers, or different parts of B41 on a single tower, or something along those lines. As each of those changes happen, you get a disconnect.
Mchccjg12

Post by Mchccjg12 »

Yeah, pretty much. I think it also has to do with a ton of issues inherent with their towers too. As I will even get disconnects on my EM7565. I think it drops the connection to one part of the tower, and the modem tries to connect to another channel, causing the disconnect. Other modems probably handle the issue better, or there's something that happens in the firmware that the EM7565 and the MC7455 are missing.
FraCanTob

Post by FraCanTob »

@Mchccjg12, do you notice the EM7565 is markedly better than the 7455? Is there any modem out there that doesn't have this problem with Sprint that we could use in a similar way?
Mchccjg12

Post by Mchccjg12 »

FraCanTob wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:18 am @Mchccjg12, do you notice the EM7565 is markedly better than the 7455? Is there any modem out there that doesn't have this problem with Sprint that we could use in a similar way?
The EM7565 is definitely leagues better than the 7455. It disconnects far less, and is much more stable, though the lack of Band 25 is a decent downside. Honestly, it truly depends on the area. Sprint is better in some areas than others. In my area, even the 7565 disconnects because the local towers are having trouble. But then again, even the official hotspot I have has issues too, so it ain't just the 7565.
joshhighley

Post by joshhighley »

I was having lots of disconnects daily with EM7455 in one of the USB2 enclosures. I upgraded the firmware to the latest 2.32 and moved to the USB3 enclosure from The Wireless Haven. (My AR150 is USB2, but the enclosure still works). My disconnects have dropped dramatically.

I also changed the connection monitoring script to do a dhcp release / renew instead of reseting or power toggling the modem. This is much faster recovery and restores the connection.
sporez

Post by sporez »

joshhighley wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:27 pm I was having lots of disconnects daily with EM7455 in one of the USB2 enclosures. I upgraded the firmware to the latest 2.32 and moved to the USB3 enclosure from The Wireless Haven. (My AR150 is USB2, but the enclosure still works). My disconnects have dropped dramatically.

I also changed the connection monitoring script to do a dhcp release / renew instead of reseting or power toggling the modem. This is much faster recovery and restores the connection.
very interesting. With this new setup, how frequently is it disconnecting?
sporez

Post by sporez »

joshhighley wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:27 pm I was having lots of disconnects daily with EM7455 in one of the USB2 enclosures. I upgraded the firmware to the latest 2.32 and moved to the USB3 enclosure from The Wireless Haven. (My AR150 is USB2, but the enclosure still works). My disconnects have dropped dramatically.

Update on this...per your results I ended up picking up a usb3 enclosure from The Wireless Haven for my em7455 and sprint is a lot more stable with it.

Can you post how you tweaked your connection monitoring script to dhcp release/renew upon disconnect?

Return to “General and Unclassified”