Band 71 drops

Topics Related to Cell Towers, Frequencies and Bands
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
datashuttle
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Band 71 drops

Post by datashuttle »

I have a 5g modem and have it locked to band 71 (primary), band 41 (secondary). With this configuration I get the fastest throughput. However, band 71 drops frequently and I then have 41:41, which doesn't produce the best throughput. Is the reason for dropping band 71 due to being, perhaps, on the perimeter of the available band 71 signal?

If that is the case, I may want to add a directional antenna to the tower if it will help.
Didneywhorl

Re: Band 71 drops

Post by Didneywhorl »

It depends on where it is coming from. I find that if the higher frequency bands have decent enough signal strength that modems will prefer them over a stronger signal lower frequency band.

Depending on the modem, you can cell lock it to always use n71 when it is seen by the modem. (different than band locking)
BillA

Re: Band 71 drops

Post by BillA »

datashuttle wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:57 am I have a 5g modem and have it locked to band 71 (primary), band 41 (secondary). With this configuration I get the fastest throughput. However, band 71 drops frequently and I then have 41:41, which doesn't produce the best throughput. Is the reason for dropping band 71 due to being, perhaps, on the perimeter of the available band 71 signal?

If that is the case, I may want to add a directional antenna to the tower if it will help.
Normally the modem should reconnect to both 41 and 71 in CA (Carrier Aggregation mode).
Sometimes a band can go off-line temporarily due to a tower or signal issue, but once it come back on it should reconnect.
If it doesn't, it's probably due to a modem glitch, try updating it with the latest firmware.
In some cases it may be a tower issue too, despite the modem trying to reconnect, the tower won't let it till you reboot the modem.
Alternatively you could USB tether an Android or iPhone to the router as the modem, phones tend to reconnect easier.

Return to “Towers, Frequencies and Bands”