Looking For Verizon Service advice

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
gscheb

Looking For Verizon Service advice

Post by gscheb »

Hello all,

Been using T-Mobile home internet for years now. Awhile ago over 6 months ago they restructured their tower and now none of the tower antennas are pointing toward my home 4.7 miles away. So this is had a severely bad decline on my service.

In the past AT&T don't play nice with work home vpn employer uses.

So left with Verizon to try. Verizon home internet not available at my address.
So looking for a plan that I can use thru Verizon that has HD video. Don't want to mess with personal VPN to watch shows and all that stuff. Any help would be appreciated. Been sometime since I needed to shop for usable data plans.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Orlimar1

Re: Looking For Verizon Service advice

Post by Orlimar1 »

Have you tried using a different address? I helped a buddy get set up by using a friends address.

The only downside is if they start enforcing geo location services. Which I'd guess is going to happen eventually. Just like T-Mobile just started doing. But I'd say until then, you have nothing to lose.

(If you don't want to do that, I have a Verizon prepaid unlimited (pudp) hotspot plan I won't need for at least a year. If you want to pay the costs on it, you're welcome to use it. The only thing is they do throttle video. I can get 1080p on it. But only on 1 device at a time. We get around by using vpn's on Apple TV's or Fire Cubes.)
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Orlimar1 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:03 am Have you tried using a different address? I helped a buddy get set up by using a friends address.
Thanks for the reply.
When you did use a different address did the internet Gateway get sent to that different address?
Orlimar1

Post by Orlimar1 »

gscheb wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:25 am
Orlimar1 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:03 am Have you tried using a different address? I helped a buddy get set up by using a friends address.
Thanks for the reply.
When you did use a different address did the internet Gateway get sent to that different address?
My buddy just went to the local store and picked one up there using that address. But I've seen others ship it to their home. Just tell them you're going to set it up at that address for your "granny."
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Thanks for advice.
Found aunt's address that does have service went into store and got it. Made sure to get the ARC-XCI55AX model since seen can add antenna to that model. Last night did some driving around checked 5 tower sites. Have allot of LTE only sites around us. Noticed on LTE most of the time it data capped to 73 down and 13 up on speed testing. That wasn't mentioned by Verizon. On 5G seems to be 312 down and 23 up. Found one LTE site for some reason that would let us get past the threshold so going to try to point antenna at that one.

Anyone else out there seeing this? Is there a way around it?

Also seemed to get passed threshold allot when using a VPN on the phone. Which makes no sense to me.
Orlimar1

Post by Orlimar1 »

gscheb wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 12:56 pm Thanks for advice.
Found aunt's address that does have service went into store and got it. Made sure to get the ARC-XCI55AX model since seen can add antenna to that model. Last night did some driving around checked 5 tower sites. Have allot of LTE only sites around us. Noticed on LTE most of the time it data capped to 73 down and 13 up on speed testing. That wasn't mentioned by Verizon. On 5G seems to be 312 down and 23 up. Found one LTE site for some reason that would let us get past the threshold so going to try to point antenna at that one.

Also seemed to get passed threshold allot when using a VPN on the phone. Which makes no sense to me.

So you signed up for the 5g Home Internet? That is supposed to be 300 down and 20 up.

LTE Home Internet is supposed to be capped to 50 on this Verizon page: https://www.verizon.com/home/internet/lte/

What did you mean by "Also seemed to get passed threshold allot when using a VPN on the phone. Which makes no sense to me.?"

Congrats on finding something that works for you. It's so hard to find something good at some rural addresses. We love ours.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Orlimar1 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:58 pm

So you signed up for the 5g Home Internet? That is supposed to be 300 down and 20 up.
LTE Home Internet is supposed to be capped to 50 on this Verizon page: https://www.verizon.com/home/internet/lte/
What did you mean by "Also seemed to get passed threshold allot when using a VPN on the phone. Which makes no sense to me.?"
Congrats on finding something that works for you. It's so hard to find something good at some rural addresses. We love ours.
Not out of the woods yet with this stuff.
Have 5G Home Internet Plus. It seems to be capped at about 70 down and 10 up on LTE. When I took it for ride in the car to a 5G location then seen the 300 down and 20 up. But at towers I drove to that where LTE only get the 70 down and 10 up on LTE. Also had a Verizon cell phone with me and tested at these LTE towers and was getting over 200 down and like 40 up. So it wasn't the towers.
This is a issue for me because I don't have a 5G signal at my home.
Does anyone know if this is how this plan is supposed to be? With the LTE only get the 70 down and 10 up on LTE.
I know that it isn't my set up. Can see the speed test go higher than be throttled back especially on the upload.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Also seems to be working very badly with work home vpn employer uses.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Logged into plan and found some link to network management policy. Took some time poking around to find it.
Verizon 5G Home+ Throttle.png
This is exactly what I am seeing here pretty much the issue I am talking about.
Maybe the people getting the new plans from Verizon are getting these throttled speeds.
When I drove out to the tower was getting 73 down and like 13 up.
Such odd numbers figured the throttle was 70 down and 10 up and was over shooting.
But no it says right there in the network management policy it is13 up!

Here is a link to this policy.
https://www.verizon.com/about/our-compa ... erformance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orlimar1

Post by Orlimar1 »

We have the 5g home that is throttled at 300mbps. When I run a speed test it will jump up over 300. Then I can watch them throttle it back down. But for us 300 is plenty. But of course in the evenings it's sometimes under 100 down.

As far as vpn, I got this so we didn't have to deal with using a vpn to stream our entertainment. We were using a T-Mo and Verizon service that both throttled video. But now we're golden. We're also retired so we don't have to use a vpn to work from home. So I can't help you there.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Orlimar1 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 11:03 am We have the 5g home that is throttled at 300mbps. When I run a speed test it will jump up over 300. Then I can watch them throttle it back down. But for us 300 is plenty. But of course in the evenings it's sometimes under 100 down.

As far as vpn, I got this so we didn't have to deal with using a vpn to stream our entertainment. We were using a T-Mo and Verizon service that both throttled video. But now we're golden. We're also retired so we don't have to use a vpn to work from home. So I can't help you there.
But are you connected to 5G?
Or 4G LTE only?

The issue for me is that we are connected to 4G LTE only.
Orlimar1

Post by Orlimar1 »

gscheb wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 12:27 pm
Orlimar1 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 11:03 am We have the 5g home that is throttled at 300mbps. When I run a speed test it will jump up over 300. Then I can watch them throttle it back down. But for us 300 is plenty. But of course in the evenings it's sometimes under 100 down.

But are you connected to 5G?
Or 4G LTE only?

The issue for me is that we are connected to 4G LTE only.
We're connected to 5g on band n77.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

OK thank you for letting me know that. Hopefully this info can help someone else considering getting Verizon home 5G in the LTE only area. Been using Cellular data for home WIFI for years. It has been great for me but that time is over now. For some reason all the providers in my area have made the towers worse for our home. Did have Verizon 5G they refigured the tower and took it away. Did have T-Mobile 5G they refigured the tower and took it away. Took everything from our home. It is time for me to get star link. Always said wouldn't pay that. But I am up again the wall here.

Thanks for all your help.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Ended up ordering star link. But my retired aunt and uncle decided to try the Verizon 5G home. They move between two homes. So that is perfect for them to operate phones and TVs. Just take it when them. So far they are happy with it.
Orlimar1

Post by Orlimar1 »

gscheb wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:15 pm Ended up ordering star link. But my retired aunt and uncle decided to try the Verizon 5G home. They move between two homes. So that is perfect for them to operate phones and TVs. Just take it when them. So far they are happy with it.
Yeah sounds like a win win. Just hoping Verizon doesn't start enforcing geo fencing anytime soon.
BillA

Post by BillA »

"Noticed on LTE most of the time it data capped to 73 down and 13 up on speed testing."

Verizon is a mess. It's a legacy CDMA carrier with LTE and 5G piggybacked on top.
Most grandfathered plans have no speed throttle, but all new accounts do.
As you've seen in their network management policy and experienced it by testing it, LTE is capped around 70 Mbps.
On LTE I get 60 Mbps in a line of sight with a Verizon tower less than a mile away.
On the other hand, with mmWave 5G I've seen around 300 Mbps, but that high frequency (around 40 GHz) required an unobstructed line of sight which most people can't get.

I've been using Tmobile for almost 10 years now, and in recent years I'm pulling around 500 Mbps close to a tower with a 5G router.
As far video throttling, all carrier do it. To get around it you can use a VPN, or better yet a simple proxy which doesn't slow down your entire network, just speeds up the video.

Return to “Internet Service Providers”